Subscriber can close a thread for themselves.
This option will allow your subscribers to eliminate future emails from a particular thread.
By thread, we mean Replies to a previous email message. Typically, a thread will have the same subject line.
Use the Web Interface to Change Settings
Log into your mail-list account at https://database.mail-list.com.
- Click Customize Your List.
- Click Posting Messages to List.
- Click Subscriber Can Close Out a Thread..........
- Click Yes.
- Click Save.
Future emails will include a new link allowing subscribers to use this feature.
A new link will start appearing at the bottom of messages.
When the link is clicked, this message will appear:
After clicking Yes, a web page asks the subscriber to confirm "Are you sure?"
This action is irreversible.
If the subscriber clicks Yes, this message appears:
What Happens Next
For this particular discussion thread, the subscriber will NOT receive any more messages. Subscribers can use your Searchable Web Archive or our short term Missing Message Archive to see any messages they might miss.
There are no reporting options to see who is blocking what thread.
Default link wording can be edited, if you prefer.
- Go to Posting Messages to List Menu.
- Click Words Shown Above Click To Stop Thread.
- Make any wording changes.
- Click Save.
Help for Subscribers
Share this link with your subscribers to help explain this option: Stop Future Emails From a Thread
If a subscriber stops an email thread, are they removed from the mailing list?
No. They remain on the mailing list.
Only emails from this one thread are blocked for 30 days.
What if the Subject Line is used again?
Not a problem.
Mail-List.com is not paying attention to the Subject line. Our system uses a hidden header field in each email to identify them.
What if the Subject Line is changed when replying?
Still not a problem.
The In-Reply-To header field will take precedence over the Subject Line. This means an an email thread could have different Subject Lines.
How can your system handle different Subject Lines in the same thread?
- The hidden header field is created by each subscriber's email reader when they reply to a message. It contains the Message-ID of the message they are replying to. (In-Reply-To field)
- The Message-ID field is a long, unique identifier.
- If multiple people reply to a message, the In-Reply-To field is the same on each reply.
- The References header contains a list of Message-IDs, when there are Replies to Replies.
- Confused? Don't worry. We've got it covered!
How long will emails from this thread be stopped?
The Stop Thread information is deleted after 30 days. If someone replies to a message thread more than 30 days later, that message will not be stopped.