How to compare your membership database to your mailing list (email address only)
If your membership database is out of sync with who is on your mailing list, this procedure will show you the differences.
You can reconcile your spreadsheet of members to our mailing list via two options:
- Compare email addresses only (use the instructions below).
- Compare multiple email addresses for the same user, and/or use other identity data (Membership ID, Name, etc.) For this option, follow the instructions in this post.
The option described below can be used to both compare records and make permanent changes.
Use the Web Interface for this Comparison
Log into your mail-list account at https://database.mail-list.com.
- Click Manage Subscribers.
- Click Your Mailing List vs Your Membership Database (Email Addresses Only).
- Paste your list of current addresses in Enter Subscribers From Your Spreadsheet.
- You also have the option to upload a file instead. Use the Choose File button.
- Select the Compare Current List...
- Choose an email address to send the results.
- Click button Current List vs Your Spreadsheet.
Reports will be sent to the email address chosen.
COPY & PASTE REQUIREMENTS
When pasting data into the above window, the format must be as shown below.
Option 1 - Email address and name
Separate with a comma.
firstname.lastname@example.org,Sue Ann Brown
Option 2 - Multiple email addresses for each subscriber
Separate with a comma.
email@example.com,,Sally Jones (Sally does not have an additional address, so just an extra comma is shown.)
firstname.lastname@example.org,email@example.com,Sue Ann Brown
Option 3 - Using other unique identifiersThe end of each line can be the subscriber name, membership ID or any other identifying data you store.Example below showing membership ID number instead of subscriber name:
Separate with a comma. Example: joe@hotmail,1255 firstname.lastname@example.org,985 email@example.com,279
UPLOADED FILE REQUIREMENTS
- The spreadsheet must have at least one column containing your member's email address.
- The spreadsheet can have additional columns of alternative email addresses for each subscriber.
- All columns (except for the last column) must contain email addresses or be blank.
- The last column can be their name, membership ID or any other identifying data you store.
Use the Compare Current List option before using Replace Current List option.
This gives you the opportunity to review the desired changes before making them permanent.
The report will list the subscriber name along with their current email address.
This report will also show email addresses on your list but not shown in your membership database.
The report includes an audit trail of when members joined, unsubscribed, changed their email address, switched to Digest, etc.
Example of the Email Report
An email report will be sent showing the difference between your membership database and the mailing list. This report shows:
- How many subscribers in your list.
- How many subscribers receiving the Digest.
- How many subscribers on vacation.
Your mailing list was not updated, only summarized. The report above indicates what would have changed if Replace Current List option had been chosen.
Example of the Email indicating Address Differences
If any email addresses in your spreadsheet are not found on your mailing lists, they will be be added to your regular list.
When using the Compare Current List option, this email report indicates the actual email addresses that will change if the Replace Current List option is chosen.